Message from the President
Dear Pharmacists and Technicans,We strive every day to advance the pharmacy profession and serve your needs through legislative and regulatory advocacy, professional development opportunities and networking activities. I personally urge you to RENEW your membership TODAY and take advantage of the countless ways to maximize your KPhA membership.
2018-2019 KPhA Highlights:
- Worked extensively with Department of Medicaid Services on implementation of SB 5 (2018 Legislative Session) to improve reimbursements and PBM transparency.
- Passed HB 64, sponsored by Rep. Danny Bentley, allowing pharmacists to dispense emergency supplies of insulin-therapy drugs and chronic respiratory medications.
- Passed HB 342 requiring electronic prescribing of all controlled substances, except for compounded prescriptions, which coincides with implementation of federal legislation that will mandate the same for all Medicare Part D controlled-substance prescriptions.
- Passed HB 470 allowing pharmacists to dispense naloxone to harm-reduction organizations with minimal documentation requirements.
- Other wins included SB 54 with comprehensive prior authorization reform, and HB 224 with improved reimbursements to durable equipment providers by Medicaid managed care organizations.
- Attracted more than 150 attendees to the Legislative Conference in November 2018, including legislators who represent your interests at the Capitol in Frankfort.
- Hosted Pharmacists Day at the Capitol in February where nearly 70 members and student members advocated for the profession in Frankfort.
- Offered FREE regional Sip & Mingle events to connect local members and encourage networking.
- Offered more than 25 LIVE hours and countless online hours of education through the Annual Meeting & Convention and The Kentucky Pharmacist to meet your annual CE needs.
- Provided up-to-date news and information on issues that impact you, your practice and your patients through KPhA e-blasts, e-newsletters and our bi-monthly journal, The Kentucky Pharmacist.
- Implemented LecturePanda, an online learning platform to increase access to CE content and automatically links to CPE Monitor.
- Upgraded our communications efforts with VoterVoice software to initiate grassroots advocacy efforts and ease the process of communicating with your legislators.
- Initiated KPhA rotations for pharmacy students at UKCOP and SUCOPHS.
- Concluded the Capital Building Campaign June 1 with the sale of KPhA headquarters building from the Kentucky Pharmacy Education & Research Foundation (KPERF).
- Launched new Center of Excellence Fundraising Campaign to help pharmacists improve the lives of Kentuckians through education, disease prevention and treatment.
The KPhA mission is to advocate for and advance the profession through an engaged membership. I want you to know that during my year as your President, my focus will be on Membership Engagement, advocating for PBM reform, and Pharmacy Provider Status. We will continue to offer great value-added services and seek to be a fresh influencer while creating a model to ensure proper compensation for our services.
I am hopeful you will join TODAY. TOGETHER, we are stronger together and more impactful when advocating for change. The KPhA Board of Directors and staff are here to serve you and keep the KPhA moving forward. Please let us know how WE can help YOU!